I’ve been living off of 8th Street for over a year now and I love it! I normally stay in my neighborhood for most things; so I’ve created a guide of what I like to do over here! I’ve included the 8th Avenue/ Wedgewood Houston area.
Where to Eat
Girls gotta eat right?
- M. L. Rose: All around great place. Average prices, huge beer selection and fun atmosphere. The one on 8th avenue has a really cool beer garden in the back! Their sweet potato fries are amazing!
- The Sutler/ Rambler/ Melrose Billiard Parlor: You can have three completely different experiences all in one place! They have a swanky cocktail bar, music inspired restaurant/bar and underground game bar. The Sutler has the BEST brunch, the Rambler has a great drink special on Wednesdays & Melrose has free popcorn. You’re welcome!!
- Cilantro: One of my favorite restaurants!! Amazing Mexican food, waiters are nice and great margaritas.
- The Smiling Elephant: Great Thai food and super cool atmosphere.
- Sinema: It’s a old movie theater that’s been made into a restaurant. SO COOL. Can be a bit pricer but have a good happy hour and if you’re looking to grub at brunch they have a pretty amazing buffet. Tip: use the downstairs bathroom, super good selfie spot.
- Love, Peace & Pho: Serving up delicious Vietnamese food! Try the Rare beef!
- Fat Mo’s: Looks like a little shack, but skip McDonalds and get Fat Moe’s spicy fries. You’ll thank me later.
Where To Go Grab A DrinkT
- Bastion: I’ve been here quite a few times, it’s amazing. They have a restaurant but the bar area is a great place to grab a drink! Their “bucks” drink is so tasty, nachos are amazing & have $3 PBR + a super fun “air” hockey game.
- The Pink Flamingo: Atmosphere is the main part of this place. It’s SO pretty! When it’s warmer the patio is nice & on the weekends they have a disco dance party with old school jams.
- Diskin Cider: Not a huge beer fan? Try a cider! They have a full in-house cider production and cool bar area with games! Great place to chill on a pretty day!
- The Sutler/ Rambler/ Melrose Billiard Parlor: Again good places to eat and drink.
Where to Get Coffee
I need coffee to basically function everyday… here are the best places
- 8th and Roast: Amazing coffee and cute location. Iced coffee is bomb.
- Americano Coffee Lounge: Not your normal coffee lounge, this is a cool coffee lounge! Couch envy for real.
Where to get Sweets
- Baked on 8th: Simply amazing! Good and pretty desserts! Cute place to take pictures too.
After you eat, drink and caffeinate yourself you need something to do.
- Wedgewood-Houston Monthly Art Crawl: It’s the first Saturday of the month starting at 6 PM. Who doesn’t like art & free wine? I like it better than the art crawl downtown, FYI.
- Go thrift shopping! We have some great thrift stores really close by! Eighth Avenue Antique Mall, Pre To Post Modern, Classic Modern, GoodWill is close & the flea market!
- The Basement: Great place to see live music! Super small and cool venue.
- Zanies: Spend the night laughing your booty off!